Sunday, November 06, 2005

Pizza!

Yesterday I made pizza from absolute scratch, pardoning the canned pizza sauce, milking the animals who produced the cheese, or going to the factory to create the pepperoni from spices and scary meat byproducts. For some reason I didn't think to take any photos of the dough being made in the bread maker, but the recipe I used is super simple.

After the crust was made we chose to only make one 16" pizza crust instead of the two 12" pies. I preheated the oven to 400 degrees F, oiled our pizza pan with extra virgin olive oil, floured the dough a bit to make it palpable, then spun it out into a crust and topped it with more olive oil and Italian seasonings. I forked the crust so it wouldn't produce air bubbles then baked it in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. While baking the crust I shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese and drained and halved pineapple chunks. I sliced a sweet onion into paper-thin pieces and pepperoni into 1/8"-thick chunks then sauteed both in cooking spray. Once the crust was cooked for 10 minutes I topped canned sauce on the crust using a spoon, then piled on cheddar cheese, basil and sundried tomato feta, and pineapple. Then I added the onion and pepperoni mix to the top and put the pie in the oven. I baked the pizza for 12 minutes at 400 then 3 minutes at 350. Some of the pepperoni pieces got a little charred, but I love charred so it was all good to me.

DSC00023

The pizza was the perfect blend of sweet and salty. Our only criticism was that the crust was too thick, and was amlost like a Bisquick crust. It was crunchy at the very edges because of the olive oil I added to the pan before placing the dough down. Next time we will divide the dough and make two separate pies rather than doing a half and half gigantic pizza.

If you care to, take a tour of the pizza as it was being made post-dough to pre-plate.

5 comments:

kris said...

I'm eating pizza as I type!

And drinking ice-cold diet coke out of a wine glass. It doesn't get better than this.

Joanne said...

Hee. I shall be making pizza tonight. Although I do use a mix for the crust because Gluten Free crap is hard to get right (and even when I use a mix sometimes I get it wrong.). But I'm excited for it. Of course by the 4th day of having it for lunch, I will be sick of it. :)

Bearette said...

Interesting tour!

I used to make a butternut squash pizza that was quite good.

Unknown said...

That looks DEE-LICIOUS!

Jege (Jen) said...

OMG...that looks divine.