Tuesday, April 12, 2005

change of heart

This morning I received a very detailed message from the wife of my soon-to-be-deployed buddy. Basically, he's being deployed no matter what. In fact, she believes he needs to be deployed so that he can have the successful experience behind him rather than (perhaps shameful) memories a fear-filled opt-out. Does that make sense? Some details about "the whole story" are confidential, but suffice it to say that I am now doing my best to support Rog in his impending deployment. I wrote him a note this morning reminding him that life doesn't hand us more than we can handle, that if he steps back and accepts his situation he will realize he has the skills to make it through this hard time, and that his co-workers (including me) will continue to support him in Iraq. Thanks, Christina, for your perspective. It closely matches what Rog's wife told me and helped me not freak out when I got her message this morning. :)

1 comment:

Christina said...

no probelm. my heart goes out to you guys. i was lucky enough that my husband won't have to go and fight anywhere, but i do have friends that did. i'm not afraid to say it...i would never want anyone to have to go and fight for any reasonleast of all for me. if i could possibly have convinced my husband not to join, i would have, and i can't understand your buddy's wife thinking it's not so bad for him to go, but i'll have him in my prayers, along with all our other kids.