Saturday, April 23, 2005

Blahs, woot, and pool

I'm still very dizzy and weak, but at least I'm not curled up in a little ball with a tissue shoved up one nostril and tears streaming down my face. What the heck is the springtime cold trying to accomplish? My husband has been nothing but fabulous to me during this week-long nastiness. Man, I chose wisely. Dunno how I did that after screwing up with all (but one of) the others.

On Tuesday a co-worker of mine said "woot" to me, with his arms raised in the air. I replied, "what is that, a New Jersey thing?" Why? Because the only other person I've ever "heard" use woot is Ms. Moxie. (She was just in a car accident, go visit her and say nice things to help her feel better, thanks!) And, she says she's from NJ. Or, am I making that up? Never know with this mind these days... Granted, my co-worker is not from NJ, but he grew up semi-close to there so ... yaah. No. Whatever he told me about his use of woot didn't stick in my head.

While out sick I watched the women's 2004 billiards US Open between Karen Corr and Ga-Young Kim. Spoiler: Ga-Young Kim kicked ass in rack 13. Oh, just brilliant. She won this title at age 21. When I was 21 I was in college and still in denial about not being able to realize my dream of becoming a veterinarian. This girl, she's already a pro. Some links to Ga-Young (aka "Little Devil Girl" - really!):
  1. WPBA Tour bio

  2. Ga-Young Kim Women's Professional Billiards site

  3. A to Z Billiards tournament profile

This perhaps isn't a very fascinating topic, but I'm just curious if all people think similarly, or if I'm the weirdo. I love women's billiards, women's tennis, women's volleyball, women's gymnastics but try to get me to watch the men's versions and I'll take a strong pass. I love men's basketball, baseball, wrestling (the fake kind), and strong man contest but just don't care for the women's versions of these sports. Is it normal to like just the women's OR just the men's version of a sport?

2 comments:

MG said...

Heya Poppy :)

Woot isn't a NJ thing, it's an online gamer thing. Ask him what he plays ;)

Poppy said...

Oh no. My deepest, darkest secret has been revealed. I in fact do not participate in online gaming. I tried pogo once but the day I heard that someone's neighbor had fatally run over her own child I decided Bingo was not worth the emotional trauma. My husband plays online games. Shooting and wooting, I suppose.