Saturday, March 19, 2005

Travel log of a confused college girl

Back in college I did Spring Break by myself in England and Belgium. Today I found a travel diary I wrote with a pen on paper (original!) while my trip progressed. For the first time ever I reveal my secret notes of that trip:


    Day 1
      Arrive Heathrow 930am
      get luggage, travel cards, ticket for bus
      take bus to Reading
      take train to Twyford
      call V and R to come get me
      arrive Woodley around 130pm
      get oriented

    Day 2
      Train from Twyford to Paddington
      tube from Paddington to Victoria
      arrive Victoria 11am
      get boarding pass for coach (rail to Ramsgate is down)
      coach is full, have to wait till next one
      catch coach 125pm
      fatal accident on motorway
      arrive at ferry dock too late for jetfoil
      take 630pm ferry to Oostende
      arrive Oostende at 1130pm Belgium time
      take special coach at 12am
      arrive Liège 330am, meet M, D
      stay up with A till 6am

    Day 3
      Meet M
      Walk around Liège with A
      eat a Belgian waffle
      see A's school
      go to café for a drink
      everything closed
      spend evening eating, talking, etc.

    Day 4
      Get ready to leave
      go downtown with A to shop
      go to Art Rock Café
      leave Liège by train 130pm
      arrive ferry 5pm
      jetfoil cancelled
      take 530pm ferry back to Ramsgate
      arrive Ramsgate 9pm
      leave Ramsgate by coach 930pm
      get to Ramsgate station 10pm
      special train to Victoria Station at 1030pm
      arrive Victoria 1230am
      tube to Paddington
      miss train from Paddington to Twyford by 2 minutes
      take 125am train to Reading
      take taxi from Reading to Twyford
      arrive Twyford 230am

    Day 5
      Go to Oxford Circus to shop
      Go to Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey

    Day 6
      Go to Longdon Zoo
      go to Picadilly Circus to shop

    Day 7
      Go to Buckingham Palace, St. James Park
      go to science museum
      go to Picadilly Circus to shop
      Guinness World Records Exhibition
      go to Oxford Circus to shop

    Day 8
      Go to Oxford
      visit museum of science and medicine
      go to Lands End Pub

    Day 9
      Go home (V & R drive to Heathrow)



Yup, so that was my trip. A few added notes: In the Belgium café several people had dogs, and in the Lands End Pub the owners had a black cat who sat in the empty seat at our table. I understand that many people are allergic to animals, but I do wish that animals were more incorporated into our daily lives in the States. The "fatal accident" on Day 2 was that of a man on a motorcycle who somehow was decapitated as he was driving on the motorway. I guess I was never meant to take the jetfoil... Day 4's Belgian waffle was authentic -- made by a street vendor in Liège. Belgian waffles have sugar cubes at the crosshairs, super sweet and delicious. On Day 5 I actually spent the majority of the day with an Australian tourist. She and I took pictures of each other so that we'd have proof we were at places. Unfortunately my camera was having problems with feeding the film for the majority of the trip so I have no photos of many of my conquested visits. On Day 6 I distinctly remember walking up and down Picadilly Circus attempting to get locals to ask me to hang out with them, or to snatch me up into their world. It didn't work so I eventually went to a TGI Fridays and had a veggie burger with sparkling water. Whenever I watch Office Space and see Jennifer Aniston's character at Chotchky's I remember my time at TGI Friday's. While I was there I didn't know TGIF's was a chain. *sigh*

Last weekend I found a short story that I wrote after my trip about my experience called "Steak and Kidney Pie" in which I make V & R out to be quite evil. In the story V attempts to take my kidneys for the pie. In actuality they were the sweetest people I have ever met. I did eat a freshly made steak and kidney pie prepared by V, but it was beef kidney.

Kidneys aside, it's definitely time to renew my passport...

No comments: