Sunday, March 20, 2005

oooh, this my shit, this my shit

In the past I had to choose between MADtv and Saturday Night Live because the second half of MAD and first half hour of SNL are on at the same time. Of course I chose MADtv because it more consistently leaves me laughing my ass off rather than feeling embarrassed by badness like SNL usually does. We recently obtained a DVR that has two tuners so we can now record both shows -- no more choosing my favorite child.

I just finished watching SNL with musical guest Gwen Stefani. I love watching her live performances because she adds a punk/ska tone that normally doesn't make it to her top 40 recorded version. But, as I watched my favorite song from her Love. Angel. Music. Baby album, Hollaback Girl, I was really frustrated. She was so f'ing hot in her Milan cheerleeder outfit and black stilettos with the live marching band as backup, but she couldn't say "shit" because of FCC lockdown, so the whole song basically gets ruined. I'd like to see a free pass for obscenities when they add to the creative element. This song really does it for me when Gwen sings it as it is intended, but when it is censored it's just not as good. I mean, what the hell is "this mm is bananas, b-a-n-a-n-a-s" compared to "this shit is bananas, b-a-n-a-n-a-s"?



If viewers are offended by swearing, why would they watch SNL? They even censored Ashton Kutcher saying "son of a bitch" during one of his skits. C'mon!

2 comments:

Poppy said...

I think it was only disappointing because I knew what she was supposed to be saying. A few times she said "this my sh" (by mistake?) which sounded better than "mm". If I had heard the SNL performance first I probably would have not cared about the words and just gone with the drumline and visuals.

I know that Sean at Saturday-Night-Live.com posts video of the shows, but he has been on break and has a lot of catching up to do. I am considering using Sound Studio on my Mac to record just the audio...

You're right, there are few good songs on the album. When I first heard the rich girl song on the radio I didn't know who was singing it because it sounded so commercial. Hope she doesn't sell out so much on her next solo album.

Poppy said...

I'm not even going to bother making this a separate post. Just watched Gwen perform Hollaback Girl on David Letterman, and AGAIN it seems to be a big problem that she can't say "shit". At one point she even pointed behind herself, as if pointing at a pile of shit. So ungraceful! Loved the athletic stilettos, though! Hot!