Sunday, May 15, 2005

Addicted to other people's adventurous spirit

I am addicted to the show Deadliest Catch. I am a low-grade animal activist, so I have a conflict of interest in watching people capture and mistreat crabs and other critters of the ocean, but I do admit that I am not a vegetarian so I'll just agree that I am a hypocrite.

crabby

Anyway, back to the show. It's fascinating to watch these rugged men brave their lives on the vicious high waters. This past Tuesday's episode showed a search and rescue of The Big Valley. The commercials for several weeks had been alluding to the idea that one of the boats would sink, and The Big Valley did just that. A large wave tipped the boat on its side and took the captain and first mate with it. Three people were able to put on their survival suits. One crew member was found holding on to the life boat -- alive. One was found floating freely in the water -- passed away despite efforts to revive him. Of course there's a cliffhanger and the fate of last member unaccounted for will be revealed in next week's episode. Can't wait.

No comments: