Monday, February 14, 2005

Venereal diseases and shredded love letters

This morning's short but sweet wake-up greeting conversation:
    Me: "Happy VD!"
    Husband: "*chuckle* I've heard that one before."

And I thought I was being clever... He's even more clever than I am!

About a year ago I was going through old papers and stumbled upon my stash of love letters from an old boyfriend. I felt so guilty that the letters co-habitated with my husband, but I was excited by a strange idea of perhaps publishing the love letters in a book about correspondences. Fast forward a few months - I find the letters again and my guilt becomes stronger. I move them to a "secret" location, still pondering the idea of publishing the letters. I learn soon after on different occasions that this ex-boyfriend is marrying a wonderful woman and then that they will have a baby. More fast forwarding to a few weeks ago - I find the letters moved from where I put them. I freak out, fess up to my hubby that the letters are from an old flame, and we have a shredding party. Bye-bye love letters. I feel much better that my dirty little secret has been destroyed, but slightly disappointed that my best material for the correspondence book has been destroyed with it.

No comments: