Saturday, February 26, 2005

Gallant spasms

Today I watched a recording of the latest episode of ER in which Nela and (Michael) Gallant exchange love letters between Chicago and Iraq. This made me a little sad about my current situation. Today I was supposed to attend the big bash to see my buddy Roger off to Iraq, but a severe back injury has rendered me useless in the outside world. Thanks to modern medicine for creating lots of drugs for me to take so that I stop shaking violently from the pain and having equally violent spasms while I am walking, sitting, or lying down. However, said drugs turn me into a vegetable when it comes to reacting to my surroundings, so hardly the life of the party.

Anyway, back to the reason for my post... It was mentioned in the ER episode that hand-written letters are like gold, so I am going to do my best to send Roger hand-written letters even if they're just to say how much all of us at work miss him. If you have a friend or family member overseas fighting the endless war, consider sending them a letter that you write in your own handwriting. It's so much more precious and considerate than any email, even if it took you 2 hours to craft that email vs. a 2 minute "hey, how are ya" snailmail letter. There's definitely something very impersonal and easily misinterprettable about electronic communication.

So much for the party. I was really looking forward to Goldschlager and Tequila sunrises, but muscle relaxers and pain killers will have to do. ;) Yeeeeehaaa......!

No comments: