Monday, May 16, 2005

Can't take myself anywhere

While waiting for the groomer to call me on my cell I went galavanting around the "seedy" part of town (I grew up there) where there is a dollar store, a hardware store, and a sports store.

In the dollar store I managed to knock over 4 objects without breaking them, then when I went up to the counter I broke an object I was paying for so had to pay for that one and for another to replace said broken object. One of my purchases included 6 packets of various vegetable and herb* seeds. (*We're growing an herb garden. [Not that kind of herb garden.]) $14 of j-unk when all was said and done.

Then, off to the hardware store where I stared at the lawn and garden gadgets, the bird and squirrel feeders, then a shining light blazened into my eyes as I was about to exit sans purchase: 40% off all flower, vegetable, and fruit seeds. I bought me $17 worth o' seed-on-sale. I am now the proud owner of the following seed packages: watermelon, cucumber, lettuce, carrots, green beans, peppers, squash, hyacinth bean, morning glory, cosmos, echinacea, velvet queen sunflower, mountain beauty mixed color sunflower, johnny jump-ups (i know, they're weeds too, but purty!), sweet basil, oregano (not *that kind* of oregano), broccoli, and sweet corn.

At the sports store they talked me into buying a dress. I know what you're thinking -- "who buys a dress at a sports store?" Well, that would be me. Got it at 50% off! A lovely little black cocktail dress. Behind the counter they made mention of how many people had tried it on before me, so I'll be dry cleaning it before wearing it. Dress was "$30 even". (Big spender...) I don't have an event on the horizon to wear said dress. I don't even have shoes to go with it right now!

warhol-dollar-sign

My point: I do feel guilty in small stores if I buy nothing whatsoever. Why is that? I spent $61, plus bought a Coke at McDonald's, plus paid the groomer's fee + tip. I spent waaaay too much money today on stuff I did not in any way whatsoever need. Eh?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sometimes i feel like that too. especially when i walk in and there's no other customer in the store. i wait till they're not looking and sneak out.

Ally said...

From what you've said, EVERYTHING you bought seemed necessary :). But I do know what you mean. I almost feel like I'm wasting the store-owner's time by being in there if I don't come out with something.

Poppy said...

I'll post a pic of the dress if you promise not to laugh at my pastiness. (Hey, I live in a state where it snows 11 months out of the year.) Still haven't had it drycleaned yet so maybe I'll just take a pic of it on a hanger? Hmmm.... :)